The paediatric dentists are those who are the protectors of the kids’ oral health during the building years. They are the specialists is treating the unique requirements of the children. A paediatric dentist has to complete two-three years of specialty training beyond the dental school.
Therefore, he or she specializes and limits their practice to the treatment of the oral health of the infants and the children through the adolescence including the kids with special health needs.
Choosing a paediatric dentist whom you can trust with your child’s health and beauty happens to be a very big decision. A positive first impression at the dental clinic can influence the view of the child regarding the concept of dental clinic and treatment for the rest of the lives. That is why it is important that your kid is comfortable with the dentist as well as the staff.
Ideally, your kids’ dental office experience will be something to remember for the rest of his or her life. So ensure that it gives the kids something to smile about.
It can seem to be quite a daunting task to select a paediatric dentist and so it will be great if you ask someone whom you trust for recommendation. It can be a co-worker, a friend or a family member and most of them will be more than happy to share their child’s experience with the dentist.
Apart from that, here are certain things that you should keep in mind as they will assist you while selecting the right paediatric dentist for your child. Just read on.
- Consider Whether They Have Special Training – The paediatric dentists are uniquely qualified for protecting the oral health of your kid. This is because they have a couple of years of special training apart from the four years of dental school and four years of college study. In fact, there are some dentists who practiced general dentistry prior to specialising which gives them a unique perspective. The specialty training educated them about how to deal with the kids’ behaviour, make the kids comfy and create a special experience. The paediatric dentists also receive training and qualifications for treating those with special needs.
- Check Whether They Have Active License to Practise -The paediatric dentist should have a license that allows him or her to practise the said dental profession in your state. The professional dental licences are approved and given by the state board. Usually the licenses and the certifications of the dentists are displayed in the reception of a dental clinic So if this is not the case, do not hesitate to ask the dentist about the same.
- Check Whether They Have a Fun Environment – Many people are afraid of going to the dentist and this includes even the adults. That is why you should ensure that taking your kid to the dental clinic does not become a traumatising or frightening experience. Hence go for clinics that are bright and happy places for both the psychological and physical requirements of the kids. But the building and the décor should not just be conducive to the child’s psychology, the people there should also be warm and welcoming. The workplaces should be fun especially for the patients. There should be a constant endeavour to make the process enjoyable for the little ones. The dentist should tell the kids about what they are about to do, show them the same and then conduct the procedure. The main thing here is to establish communication with the child and the paediatric dentist should see to it that the kids get comfy with him or her.
- Ask Questions – You should not be afraid to ask questions during your initial consultation. After all, that is why you are there in the first place. It is extremely vital for you to understand every aspect of the dental health of your child and the available treatment options. The more informed you remain about the kids’ dental health, the better decisions you will be able to take.
- Consider the Location – You should consider the distance that you and your child have to travel for seeing the dentist. It will be better if the dental clinic is not too distantly placed from your house and your neighbourhood. This will enable you to point out the dental clinic to the child every time you walk by. You can even take a quick tour (if that is permitted) of the dental clinic beforehand. Longer distances also extend the child’s level of anxiety which can lead to irritation and temper tantrums.
- Assess Whether They Undertake a Preventive Approach – It is always better to be proactive and paediatric dentistry is no exception to that. Waiting till the time when your child gets a cavity is always too late. As the kids are more prone to decay than that of the adults, you must find the dentist who has a clear understanding of the mouth of kids and identify the problems even before they become an issue. At the right dental clinic, you will be able to find several treatments that help to prevent tooth decay in kids. One such protective device is a dental sealant that forms a protective shield over the enamel of each tooth. There are tiny grooves in baby teeth that make it impossible to keep them clean even if your kid brushes the teeth regularly. The dental sealants assist to protect those grooves and prevent the decaying of the tooth. So choose a paediatric dentist’s clinic that undertakes preventive treatment.
- Check Whether the Facility is Well-Equipped – Lastly, you should also check whether the facility is well-equipped and consists of the necessary materials. If your kid with ASD calls for sedation, materials like oxygen tank, papoose board, pulse oximeter and intubation sets should be readily available and provided.
The above are some of the ways in which you can choose the best dental clinic in Hyderabad for your kid. Only a clinic adhering to all or most of the above can enable you to be relieved that your kids’ oral health is in good hands and be assured that he or she will be able to flaunt an enigmatic and healthy smile for years to come.