There has been a major change in lifestyle towards the end of the first quarter of 2020. People have opted for working from home and the fireplace has brought comfort and a smile to their life.
In most of the cold, western countries, people continue to use the fireplace to keep themselves warm. Although life is becoming standstill, chimney sweep cannot be ignored if you wish to enjoy the pleasure of remaining warm during the cold nights.
To prevent issues with the chimney, accredited engineers are in action with spring chimney sweeps. Homeowners can understand that their chimney needs a spring clean along with the rest of the house. They can keep an eye on certain changes to decide if a chimney sweep is essential.
- The fireplace or chimney lets out a peculiar odor
- They cannot easily shut or open the damper.
- Sometimes strange noises of wood crackling that reach the ears of a person near the chimney
- Creosote buildup on the sidewalls of the chimney making it greasy.
- The fire not burning with the same rage as it used to.
The indication that a chimney needs maintenance, does not always come from the enclosure of a living room. People taking a leisure walk along with the backyard notice indications when they look up at the chimney on the roof of their houses. Chimney sweep technicians have heard narrations from owners saying that the mortar was missing from the bricks.
Some said that the flashing that remains attached against the chimney has disassembled and was found lying on the roof. The owners called up chimney sweeps on such occasions for an immediate fix.
Other owners observed leaching of rainwater from the outside to the inside of the fireplace. They address such problems to certified chimney sweeps who come with the fix. Apart from that, they also guide the residents on how they would watch out for such signals that call for immediate servicing.
The following are a few attributes to look for:
- There can be gaps in between the layers of bricks and stones if the mortar is damaged.
- Flashing has detached from the chimney sides.
- An open chimney cap allowing animals and debris to enter the chimney.
When residents call a chimney sweep to their houses, certified technicians come to determine the health of the chimney. Here is a piece of information cascaded by technicians on how people can take care of their chimney.
Nurturing you chimney
Use the Right Wood
To perform a chimney sweep and maintain it properly, the right tools and equipment are required. People must not forget that the most essential thing to take care of is the wood they are using in their fireplace. Not all kinds of woods keep a chimney in well working condition. Certain types of wood can be noxious, release damaging fumes along the chimney wall, and cause soot to mount on the chimney. When unattended for several days, it leads to a chimney fire. People can read blogs online and search about which wood they should use for their fireplace.
The Good Stuff
Usually, chimney sweeps opine, that dry hardwoods make fires safe and pleasant. Individuals prefer hardwood over softwood as it burns for a longer span, can produce more heat, and cause less environmental pollution. Some hardwoods are extremely valuable when it comes to fuel for our chimneys. These are as follows.
- Birch: The bark of Birchwood serves as a natural firestarter. Chimney sweeps consider them to be excellent fuel. For using them, one has to peel off a few pieces, put it at the base of your fireplace, add kindlings, and light the flame!
- Oak: The highly dense, long-lasting wood of an Oaktree is a good choice when someone wants to light the fireplace for a prolonged period. The fire does not burn out before igniting for long hours.
- Ash: Ashwood provides a steady flame. It is not a hassle to light up ashwood. The flame from burning ashwood is hotter due to its higher energy.
- Wood bricks: Recently, fireplace-safe wood bricks are available that generate consistent flame with some smoke.
If one can maintain the fireplace properly, chimney sweeps need not be called every month. Regular servicing is essential as it keeps the chimney healthy.