Chennai, the capital city of Tamil Nadu, India, is considered as the largest industrial and commercial center of South India, as these are the two main sectors contributing to the growth of the economy of the state since a long period of time. However, in late 1990s, there was another sector which started developing in the city, and today, it is one of the most prominent sectors of the city to contribute to economic growth. We are talking about the IT sector offering software development, ITeS and business process outsourcing services, and these have emerged as major drivers of the economic growth and jobs in Chennai.
Some noteworthy achievements of the IT industry in Chennai
Over the years, Chennai has seen some major achievements in the IT sector, which has led to a big demand for IT-related jobs in Chennai.
- Chennai has been recognized as the country’s one of the attractive cities for off shoring services.
- After Bangalore, Chennai is the second largest exporter of IT and IT enabled Services in India.
- The city is the second largest exporter of Software in the country after Bangalore.
- Chennai is trying to compete itself with Bangalore to mark a position in the IT map as software as a service (SaaS) hub. Today, many SaaS majors have their homes in Chennai.
- Some of the best known IT companies of the country are located here offering a plethora of jobs in Chennai
- India’s top software company TCS has the largest operations in Chennai
- Another top company Infosys has world’s largest development center in Chennai. There are about 25,000 employees working in Infosys office located in many centers in the IT corridor in Chennai
- The head-offices, regional-offices and development centers of various other CMMI-level 5 companies are located in Chennai.
No wonder, all these major achievements definitely make way for the opening of many IT jobs in Chennai.
Software Technology Parks in Chennai
Another major reason of the growth of growth of jobs in Chennai is because of the significant pace in which the software technology parks are being developed in Chennai.
IT corridor on Mahabalipuram road: The southeast of Chennai on Old Mahabalipuram Road is referred as an IT corridor where there are several technology parks, some completed and some are under construction. When the entire IT corridor will be completed fully, reports say that this area itself will provide jobs in Chennai to close to 300,000 people.
Tidel Park: This IT park, a joint venture of TIDCO and ELCOT, in Chennai is one of the largest IT parks in Asia. It was set up in 2000 with the objective of fostering the growth of IT in Tamil Nadu by the TIDEL Park Ltd. The park currently is the home of several software, telecommunications and BPO companies, offering ample jobs in Chennai to qualified professionals.
Tidel Parks on the IT corridor: Two more Tidel parks are coming up. One just opposite the present Tidel park and the other is under construction on the IT corridor.
Special economic zones (SEZ): A number of SEZs has also come up in Chennai. A special mention is the Mahindra World City built in the outskirts, referred as New Chennai. It is still under construction but some companies have already started their operations here. It has the World’s largest IT Park by Infosys.
Leading companies in Chennai
Besides TCS and Infosys, there are some prominent companies offering lucrative jobs in Chennai related to technology, ITeS, software, and BPO services. Accenture, Cognizant, Capgemini, Oracle Corporation, Cisco Systems, HCL Technologies, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, IBM, Wipro, Intel, Amazon.com, Inc., Tech Mahindra, Adobe Systems, Philips, AT&T, Ernst & Young, Deloitte, Microsoft, KPMG etc. – all have their development centers in Chennai.
Not to forget some of the popular enterprise software companies like as Selectica, Temenos, Ramco Systems, I-Flex Solutions and Zoho, which have opened up a good number of jobs in Chennai for the local youths.